How it works (creating a save before experimenting with the cheat highly recommended):
1. Find and collect ingredients with a fortify restoration effect.
The fortify restoration ingredients are
- Abecean Longfin
- Cyrodilic Spadetail
- Salt Pile
- Small Antlers
- Small Pearl
2. Create or obtain clothes or armor with fortify alchemy enchantment. For example gloves/bracers, ring, necklace, circlet, and falmer helmet all enchanted with fortify alchemy preferably using grand or black soul gems.
3. Wear the clothes or armor with the effects you want to improve, in this case fortify alchemy.
4. Create a fortify restoration potion.
5. Drink/use the newly created fortify restoration potion.
6. Quickly unequip all the fortify alchemy equipment then re-equip them.
7. Repeat steps 4–6 quickly until fortify restoration ingredients run out or as desired. Each repetition should cumulatively improve the alchemical bonus provided by the equipment worn and create progressively stronger fortify restoration potions.
After the last fortify restoration potion's effect would normally run out the bonus effect on the clothes will appear to revert back to normal if checking through the equip menu, but a look at the active effects menu will show that the cumulative bonus actually still remains. The cumulative bonus will continue to be active until the apparel or armor is unequipped, so do not remove these items unless one wants to remove the bonus and start back at square one.
With vastly improved potion creation ability one can create powerful potions that can then be used to greatly enhance other skills and promote their learning such as smithing and enchanting which in turn can lead to the creation of vastly more powerful items. Money should no longer be a problem either since selling overpowered potions brings in lots of gold.
Since the improvement is geometric in progression, starting from a high alchemy skill level and high bonus apparel can lead to dramatically larger improvement than starting from lower skill or bonus levels. It should also improve alchemy skill more noticeably than before. Still starting from a low level can be relatively costly and produce meager results so for the impatient it may be best to level up first and focus on this after gaining regular access to better soul gems.